Wednesday, 8 April 2009

Streams of Blessing

Hi Everyone,  I moved to Nonthaburi the day before yesterday and will be staying at the Streams of Blessing Church. I have included a photo so that you can see their building. They are a poor church which rents this former public elementary school from the 1940's for approximately $750 US a month. By the way, Head-Masters in the public school system still whip the children with a switch when the misbehave or disrespect authority! No wonder why Thai children are so well behaved. The architecture of this building is British Colonial and the entire construction is of Thai mahogany, including the timbers. Thailand has since deforested its entire country and must import all of its lumber. I am staying on the third floor in a small back room with mahogany shutters...it is simple but meeting all my needs. Pastor Ohm is letting me stay here until my apartment in town (approx. 1/2 mile away) is vacated by its present occupant. This very large city is located on Thailand's largest river and has it's share of crime and depravity. I began Thai lessons today and worked on learning the consonants and vowels. I have begun to realize that building a language is a lot like planning a city, it is best laid out before it begins to grow. The Thai language does not have a lot of logical, consistent rules that once learned, apply in each case. My teacher told me that the Thai did not have their own language, but it is wholly borrowed from India and Burma and is of ancient origin. Tradition and pride has probably been the main reason why their forefathers never made any necessary and helpful changes centuries back when it could have done some good. My teacher also commented sadly that such difficulties and impediments have made the language unpopular to the arts. I guess that means there will likely not be any great operas or broadway shows written in Thai. All of that being said, God is sovereign and what impedes in one place, shields in another.  One thing I find attractive about the Thai language is that it is very "resolute" in tone. There is not much in it that is superficial or lends itself to quibble. Such a language will be a superior medium for preaching the Gospel! My sense overall is that God has "many" in this place whom He has elected, and that I need to be faithful one day at a time.
Thank you all for praying. Believe me as one who has no reason to lie that prayer is a very covering grace. I am trying to use the member's group as a prayer list to remind me to pray for all of you too! Thanks for posting your photos.
In His Majesty's Service,
Mark

6 comments:

  1. So good to see pictures and updates. Technology is amazing and its good that you can keep connected through Skype. Fellowship is so important. As well as prayer support. Keeping you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna...same here. Thanks for posting a pic. I am using the followers pics as a prayer list so I dont forget to pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, great posts. I'm sooooo pleased to know what's happening and where you are, physically, spiritually and "strategically" (for lack of a better term.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shawn, its good to see your face, and it good to know you are looking in on me and praying for me. Please continue to pray for my language studies. I spent four hours this morning on the alphabet. I know that sounds "kindergardenish" but, it was wonderful to start to see words forming and thinking in Thai rather than english.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy to hear from you. Are you sick of eating Thai food yet?
    You study long time! (That's the extend of my Thai language skills.)
    We will continue to pray for you and look forward to seeing you on the Fellowship wall "live" from Thailand via Skype. The girls and I will also continue to keep an eye out for you on skype weekend mornings. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...hey buddy! I will look out for you guys too! No, I am not even close to being sick of Thai food yet. I will be moving to my new apartment at the end of this week assuming the woman that I am renting from can get everything accomplished that she needs to in order to move to her daughters house. She really wants to sell it and not rent it, so I hope she sells it too for her sake. There are so many apartments here, that I can find another place in 5 minutes. She is getting up in years and really should be with her daughter and out from under this property. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete