Monday, 6 April 2009

"By a people of strange tongues..."

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to take a moment and let you know how my first Lord's day went. I attended Lat Phrau Baptist Church. They are a congregation of about 50 people in the city of Bangkok. Christian churches here are rare...sound bible churches are virtually non existent. It gives new meaning to the words, "looking for a good church"! I included a video clip of the worship time there so that you can get a better feel for the language here. The pastor's name is Jesida and he has been a christian for about 20 years. He has an amazing testimony about how he got saved and the many challenges of being born again in a country of Buddhists. After the morning service we all went upstairs and dined on amazing home made Thai food! I spent the afternoon with Tom Godet...he is an American missionary that works on translating theology books into the Thai language. I think he is going to be an tremendous resource in the future. Tomorrow I am moving to the city of Nonthaburi where I rented a Townhouse near the church that I will be working from while I am learning the Thai language. The church there is called Streams of Blessing, and the pastor's name is Ohm. He studied in America at Bob Jones University (but I wont hold that against him!) I will be taking Thai classes 4 hours a day, 4 days a week! Please continue to pray for me, that my time would be well spent and that I would have a mind to study and retain such things. Thank you for posting your photos in the member section of my blog, it is encouraging to see all of your faces and it reminds me that there are friends who are looking in on me!

In His Majesty's Service,
Mark
video

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,

    The video looks like the morning meeting at Cornerstone.

    It's most encouraging and motivating to read your reports.

    Best,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    Well, that might be explained by the fact that Pastor Jesida was trained by American missionaries. Many of the churchs here reflect western "christianity" in their worship forms. It's very difficult for sheep to stop following each other and start following The Chief Shepherd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,

    I'm encouraged by the contacts you're making and the schedule that's shaping up for your language study.

    We've received our logitech webcam. I'll have it set up later this week and get going with skype so we can talk.

    I'm in an expositor's institute today and tomorrow with Steve Lawson. It's been very stimulating so far, and I know you'd feed on it if you were here. I'll try to get you recordings if I can.

    Prayerfully,
    Chris

    P.S. I'm trying not to take offense at the questionable reference to Cornerstone's worship service. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I were there at the conference with you. I really appreciate Lawson. It really seems like Island Pond is turning a corner too...would that be a fair assessment? I would love to hear the messages. I have not met, nor do I expect to meet any reformed men here. But thats why I am here! I look forward to skyping with you,
    In Him,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark it was great to skype with you again today. The tape at Pastor J, church reminded me of my visit yet it is good to see that he has made some changes in the church. Looking forward to talking with Pastor Ohm.
    Praying for you and trusting that the language studies will enhance your witness.
    Because of His grace,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark, no idea how this posted as "dad" rather than dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL...thats ok "Dad"...I knew who it was! I look forward to chatting with you on Skype too. It was great to see the guys also. I begin my language studies today. I will keep you posted. Literally.

    ReplyDelete